Wednesday, May 20, 2015

5 Simple and Easy Ways to Keep Your Heart Healthy

Shield your heart like a pro with these tips from heart doctors about what they do to keep their own hearts functioning and healthy.


Jennifer H. Mieres, M.D., is a clinical nuclear cardiologist at North Shore-LIJ Health System in Great Neck, New York.

I make sure to laugh every day—it reduces blood pressure. I DVR sitcoms like Modern Family, and if I see a movie, I'll always choose a comedy. Music is another heart aid because it lowers stress hormones like cortisol. Katy Perry or Pitbull tunes always make me smile.


Maja Zaric, M.D., is a WH advisor and interventional cardiologist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.

Women's hearts handle stress differently than men's do, so we need to be proactive about relaxing. Like most people, I have limited downtime, so when I'm with friends or family, I turn off my cell. Being "out of touch" allows me to really unwind and find a true sense of peace.


Patricia Vassallo, M.D., is a cardiologist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

I have a family history of heart disease, so eating well is key. Diet is central to preventing problems. I try to eat a salad almost every day—avocado, tomatoes, chicken, olive oil, and vinegar on a bed of lettuce. I have a piece of fruit with every meal. A square of 70 percent dark chocolate is my treat.


Madalina Petrescu, M.D., is a cardiologist at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle.

I used to take pride in barely sleeping. But we know now that lack of sleep ups the risk for heart disease. With kids and a busy career, it's hard for me to get my seven hours. So I cut out TV and Web surfing on weeknights; I can catch up on them on weekends.


Martha Gulati, M.D., is a cardiologist at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus.

I trained my high-energy dog to love running. He doesn't take a day off, so neither can I. If you don't like running, you can swim, bike, anything! Exercise is medicine, and you need your daily dose--moving strengthens your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment